Checking Your 6th Sense
by Ron Kurtus (6 March 2001)
Because of the large number of people who have had such extra-sensory experiences as foreseeing the future, seeing what seemed to be spirits, and possibly reading the minds of others, there is a good probability that all humans have what is called a 6th sense.
Some people seem to have it more than others. It is possible to verify that you have this sense and perhaps even improve your sensitivity to it.
Questions you may have include:
- Do I have the 6th sense?
- How can I tell if I have it?
- How can I improve my 6th sense?
This lesson will answer those questions.
Everyone has all senses
Just as almost everyone has the senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch, likewise everyone has the 6th sense. Of course, there are some people who have unfortunately lost one or more of their senses, due to injury or illness, but in general everyone has all of these senses.
Since the 6th sense is a very weak sense, many people go through life without realizing their extra capabilities.
Just like some people have sharper vision than most other people, some people also have a more sensitive 6th sense than others.
Verifying you have 6th sense
Since this sense is also very unpredictable, it is sometimes difficult to verify that you have it. You may have experienced using the 6th sense and not even have realized it. One exercise is to try to recall events where your 6th sense was possibly working:
- Think back of dreams you had that later seemed to come true. These are times when you experience déjà vu or the feeling that you have been through this before.
- Recall the times that you had a hunch or feeling that something would happen and then it really did happen. Of course, most times these feelings are the result of knowledge you may have about the incident, but there are times when you just had that special feeling and then the event came true.
- Think of the times you have thought of the same thing at the same time as another person. Eliminate those times that it was just a coincidence. Also think of the times when you seemed to know what someone was thinking. Eliminate those situations where you could read their body language.
- Remember situation where you felt a spiritual presence of someone or something. This can include times after funerals or when you were in church.
Recalling these events shows that there were times in your life when you used what appeared to be your 6th sense.
Improving your 6th sense
Just as it is very difficult—if not impossible—to improve your vision through exercises, it is also difficult to improve your 6th sense capabilities beyond what you were born with. On the other hand, you can improve your sensitivity to your 6th sense, just like you can be more aware of your other senses.
One thing to remember is that the 6th sense seems to work less the harder a person tries to use it. It seems to work the best when you don't try.
Consider the exercise above, where you recalled times when it seemed you were experiencing your 6th sense. Now think back and try to remember exactly how you felt when that event happened. Then try some predictions, guesses or other exercises similar to those explained in Sixth Sense Experiments.
By practicing using those feelings, you may be able to improve your 6th sense capabilities. Note that getting those feelings also includes being more sensitive to all of your senses.
Everyone seems to have the sixth sense. You can verify it for yourself by recalling times when you had experiences that can be classified as using your 6th sense. You may be able to improve your awareness of your 6th sense by trying to get the same internal feelings as you did on those times you used your 6th sense.
Being honest is a virtue
Resources and references
Precognition - Perception of the future
Premonition - Warning of future event
Intuition: Precognition and Information from the Future - Studies from Princeton University
ESP (extrasensory perception) - From the Sceptic's Dictionary
Future Dreams Interpretation Precognition - From dream analysis site
Questions and comments
Do you have any questions, comments, or opinions on this subject? If so, send an email with your feedback. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Click on a button to bookmark or share this page through Twitter, Facebook, email, or other services:
Students and researchers
The Web address of this page is:
Please include it as a link on your website or as a reference in your report, document, or thesis.
Where are you now?
Checking Your 6th Sense